Books on DEPRESSION
- I Can See Tomorrow by Dr. Patricia Owen Ph.D.
- The Mood Cure by Julia Ross
- Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy by Dr. David Burns
- The Feeling Good Handbook by Dr. David Burns
- Saddled: How a Spirited Horse Reined Me In and Set Me Free by Susan Richards
- Undercurrent: A Life Beneath The Surface by Martha Manning
- Unstuck: Your Guide to the Seven-Stage Journey Out of Depression by James S. Gordon, M.D.
- Conquering the Beast Within: How I Fought Depression and Won…and How You Can Too by Cait Irwin
- Bouncing Back, Rewiring Your Brain for Maximum Resilience and Well-Being by Linda Graham, MFT
- The Mindful Way Through Depression: Freeing Yourself From Chronic Unhappiness by Mark Williams and John Teasdale
KIDS Books on GRIEF
- Tear Soup: A Recipe for Healing After Loss by by
The Invisible String by Patrice Karst and Geoff Stevenson
- Glass Palace by Andy Weisskoff
A Tiny Boat At Sea, how to help children who have a parent diagnosed with cancer by Izetta Smith and Ellen Goldberg
Books on PARENTING, KIDS, RESILIENCE & SLEEP
1. Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by
2. Trauma-Proofing Your Kids: A Parents’ Guide for Instilling Confidence, Joy & Resilience by Peter Levine & Maggie Kline
3. The emotional life of the toddler by Alicia Lieberman
4. A very good, general book is “The Science of Parenting” by Margot Sunderland. Not a how-to book, but full of good, science-based information.
5. Many parents enjoy reading “The Wonder Weeks” – Information is clearly organized according to current age of the baby.
6. The most helpful book on sleep recommended by many therapists who are also parents is “The Happy Sleeper“by Heather Turgeon and Julie Wright . The authors also offer very reasonably priced phone coaching should there be any question with implementation of the Happy Sleeper Method.
7. This website has also helpful information: https://www.zerotothree.org/
Books on POSTPARTUM DEPRESSION
- Books by Karen Kleiman, an expert on PostPartum Depression
- Website Community Support Link
- Specific Article Link
- Book by Ayelet Waldman: Bad Mother: A Chronicle of Maternal Crimes, Minor Calamities, and Occasional Moments of Grace
- Book by Anne Lamott: Operating Instructions: A Journal of My Son’s First Year
Books on Dealing with NARCISSISM
- “Children of the Self-Absorbed” by Nina Brown, PhD.
This book is well liked by clients who are dealing with a parent or someone else who demonstrates narcissistic traits.
- “Drama of the Gifted Child” by Alice Miller
- Toxic Parents, by Susan Forward
- Trapped in the Mirror: Adult Children of Narcissists in their Struggle for Self by Elan Golomb
- Running on Empty by Jonice Webb
- Disarming the Narcissist by Wendy Behary
- The Emotionally Absent Mother by Jasmin Lee Cori
- The Narcissistic Family by Stephanie Donaldson-Pressman
- Silently Seduced by Ken Adams, as well as his other books
- Will I Ever Be Good Enough: Healing the Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers by Dr. Karyl McBride.
- Dr. McBride’s website also has interesting articles and information. Her YouTube videos on the topic
- This web-site is for daughters with narcissistic mothers
Books on BORDERLINE PERSONALITY DISORDER
- Stop Walking on Eggshells: Taking Your Life Back When Someone You Care About Has Borderline Personality Disorder by Paul Mason MS and Randi Kreger
- Surviving a Borderline Parent: How to Heal Your Childhood Wounds and Build Trust, Boundaries, and Self-Esteem by Kimberlee Roth and Freda B. Friedman
- I Hate You–Don’t Leave Me: Understanding the Borderline Personality by Jerold J. Kreisman and Hal Straus
Books on BOUNDARIES
- Personal Boundaries by LaShelle Lowe-Charde
- Personal Boundaries 101 By Elayne Savage, PhD
- The Guide to Compassionate Assertiveness: How to Express Your Needs and Deal with Conflict While Keeping a Kind Heart, by Sherrie M. Vavrichek, LCSW
- Facing Codependence by Pia Mellody
- The Intimacy Factor by Pia Mellody
- Better Boundaries by Jan Black
- Boundaries by Cloud and Townsend.
Recommend to clients who are comfortable with easy-to-understand psychological info combined with language that references Jesus.